The purpose of the Athletics Hall of Fame is to recognize and honor those individuals (student-athletes, coaches and administrators) who have made significant contributions to the University of New Hampshire through their participation or involvement in athletics.
Anyone may nominate an individual for membership in the Athletics Hall of Fame.
Nominations may be submitted for the following categories:
To be eligible for membership in the Athletics Hall of Fame,an individual must have made a significant contribution to the University’s athletic program, either through participation in athletics as an undergraduate or subsequent association with athletics. A candidate must have attended the University of New Hampshire as a student for at least two (2) years on at least one varsity team and be separated from the University as an undergraduate for at least 5 years.
- UNH Undergraduate Athletic Achievement
- Alumnus of UNH (graduation is not a requirement)
- Participated for a minimum of two (2) years on at least one varsity team.
- Received special recognition such as: all-conference, all-American, US National or Olympic team selection, etc.
- UNH Coach and/or Administrator
- Achieved outstanding success in their sport for a number of years and have been recognized nationally or conference wide.
- Contributed in a major way to the development, growth, and/or advanced the University Athletic program.
(Current UNH coaches and/or administrators are not eligible for induction if the primary rationale for consideration is their accomplishments while at UNH).
- Joan Leitzel Contributions to Athletics Award
- For significant contributions in the lives of student-athletes.
To be eligible for Hall of Fame induction the alumnus/alumna should have earned an academic degree from the University or another accredited institution of higher learning. In lieu of the degree requirement, consideration may be given to those who showed a serious commitment to his or her academics and did not obtain a degree.
A staff member who did not participate in athletics at UNH is not eligible for consideration until he or she is no longer employed by the University. Active members of the Athletics Hall of Fame Committee cannot be considered for election until one year after termination of their tenure.
Other considerations for membership include: Achievements of the prospective member during his or her undergraduate or post-graduate years, including participation or involvement in athletics; the sportsmanship demonstrated by the prospective member during the time he of she was involved in athletics; and the character and citizenship of the prospective member as a student in later life.
Nominations for future Hall of Fame consideration can be submitted on-line however; any supporting information (articles, letters, etc.) should be mailed to the following:
Attention: Amy Sheehan
145 Main Street
Durham, NH 03824
The nominator should mail sufficient supporting data to document the nominee’s qualifications for consideration.
- About the Foundation
- Development Staff Directory
- Financial Report
- Foundation Board of Directors
- Honor Roll of Donors 2011-2012
- Honor Roll and Annual Report to Donors 2009-2010
- Endowment Management
- Invest in UNH
- Endowed Funds
- The UNH Fund
- Major Gifts
- Gift Planning
- Athletics Development
- Make a Gift to Athletics
- Friends Groups
- Hall of Fame
- Cat Tracker Newsletter
- 1991 Yankee Conference Champs
- A Celebration of Support
- A Key Assist
- A Lasting Gift
- A Legacy for Athletics
- Athletics Hall of Fame Inducts Six
- Big Wins
- Born Leader
- Cat Corner
- From the Athletic Director
- Going the Distance
- Jared Allison Named First David M. Paul Family Fotball Scholarship Recipient
- New Hockey Endowment Honors Former Coach
- Passing It Forward
- Scholarship Boosts Nordic Ski Team
- Skiing Support
- Taking It To The Next Level
- Annual Giving
- Endowed Funds
- Capital Projects
- Contact Us
- Photo Galleries of Events
- Corporate and Foundation Giving
- How to Give
- URC Fund
- Make a Gift
- Gifts at Work
- Philanthropy in Action
- Hamel Scholars Program
- Hubbard Award
- Nomination Form
- Past Recipients
- 2001: K. v. R. Dey Jr. ’48
- 2002: Lewis M. Feldstein
- 2003: Frederick B. Whittemore
- 2004: Arnold P. ’48 and Della A. Hanson
- 2005: The David and Rosamund Putnam Family
- 2006: Forrest D. McKerley ’57
- 2007: S. Melvin ’47 and Mary Jo Rines
- 2008: Edward A. Fish ’58
- 2009: David Steelman ’67, ’70G and Virginia Theo-Steelman ’62, ’69G
- 2010: The Honorable Walter R. Peterson and Dorothy D. Peterson
- 2011: James ’07P and Anne ’07P Loomis
- Contact Us
- Make a Gift
- Donor Honor Roll